As the life expectancy of the population increases, so does the percentage of the population who suffer from debilitating diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinsons’. As you age , your chances for suffering dementia as a result of a stroke or other debilitating diseases increases. It is estimated that more than 50% of the population who are 85 or older, suffer from some degree of dementia. If you are concerned that you may become disabled in the future, you need to consider who will care for your property and who will take care of your person. You can have an attorney prepare a Trust. You can be a trustee of the funds while you have capacity. Once you can no longer do so, then the person you name as Successor Trustee will take over. Your attorney can also draft a document naming someone to serve as the guardian of your person. In the event that it is necessary to appoint someone to be your guardian, then that person will be given priority (755 ILCS 5/11a-6). You may appoint someone to make your medical decisions to make your medical decisions by signing a Power of Attorney for Health Care. You can also appoint someone to be your to be your agent to care for your property in the event you be come incapacitated by signing a Power of Attorney for Property. Your attorney can prepare both of these documents to meet your special needs.

Pin It on Pinterest